Taylor - Knoxville, Tennessee

Solitude Made Me This Way

I believe that solitude is necessary to become the person I am truly meant to be. Because of solitude, I have been less stressed out than most people, developed myself on my own terms, and have experienced many things through an objective view that has shaped me to be the person I am today.

Solitude has allowed me to have no real friends. I don’t take this to be a bad thing, though. Without friends, I don’t have to worry if someone will disrespect me behind my back, only gain me as a friend to get answers to math homework, or make me worry how I look to a certain someone else. I don’t have to care about anyone. No connections, no stress. With solitude, I can choose who and what to care about, if anything at all.

With solitude, I don’t have to worry about judgment from either my end of things or anyone else’s. If I seclude myself, people will not want to talk to me or tell their opinion of me-whether they think I’m ugly, pretty, mean, sweet, or just plain intolerable by the way I am naturally. I won’t be judged out loud within hearing range; their opinion will just be among the peoples little circles and I can choose not to hear their nasty or great remarks about me as I walk by. I can judge them just as easy and keep my opinions to myself, not hurt or affiliate with anyone, and still get pleasure of having my own simpleminded remark towards them they probably just would not understand if I actually did say it to them anyway. Judgment is our own natural way of grading someone, but it is up to me whether or not to hear them out or care.

Within solitude, I can learn and discover on my own. I can be my own inspiration and choose what to and what not to let seep into my mind. I have an objective viewpoint of the world and its many pleasures and obstacles, and gather many things from it all as inspiration to grow and learn. But I will never let others influence me to change for someone else. I don’t follow trends and I never will, even if it is a personality trait that everyone wants me to have. I believe people should inspire, not influence or tell someone else what to do with there life.

I believe that through solitude, I can debase myself from common society, become a person I am proud to be, and live life by a self-portrait in which I have shaped and created myself through time. Solitude allows me to not be a sheep. For I am an individual and I do not follow all.