Christine - Fort Collins, Colorado
Themes: love, parenthood

For most of my life, I had no reason to believe in love at first sight. I knew it was possible to love someone, but not within a sudden moment. I do have people that I love very deeply, but my affection for them grew over a period of time. It never happened instantly. Since then my opinion has changed, I do believe it is possible to fall in love at first sight, because it happened to me.

It was a crisp October morning, 7:31, to be exact. I was still resting on the hospital bed, when the doctor gently handed him to me. He was wrapped perfectly in a blue and pink striped blanket. As I held him, my whole world seemed to disappear around me. My heart filled with tenderness. I couldn’t believe what I was seeing. I’d never seen anyone as precious as him. I had been blessed, blessed with a handsome baby boy, I named, Malachi.

His bright, sunny blonde hair seemed to shape his huge cone head perfectly. He looked like an angel, an angle sent down to me, to sway my belief in love at first sight.

As we both stared off into each others eyes I could see a sparkle in them, that warmed my heart. Those sparkly eyes reassured me that Malachi was pleased to see me and that he felt at home in my arms.

Malachi’s hands were so small and delicate. He grasped my finger tightly in a little embrace. I uncovered the blanket Malachi was bundled up in and touched his tiny toes. He wiggled them around as if he was being tickled. This reminded me how valuable he was. I combed his smooth hair back with my fingers as I kissed his small little red cheek. His cheek felt like a rose petal, soft and silky.

Once again, I touched his soft cheek, and whispered into his tiny little ear, “Hi handsome, I love you.” These words gently drifted out of my mouth without any concern. This is when I new it was true, I had fallen in love with Malachi. (Someone I had just met a couple of seconds earlier.)

My outlook on love for people changed dramatically once I was first introduced to my son, Malachi. The adoration I felt for him unfolded as I took in each and every detail of him from head to toe. From that moment on, I have always believed in love at first sight.