Matthew - Knoxville, Tennessee
Themes: love

About A Girl

I met a girl when I was 21 and she was 17. We both worked together in a retail store in an area tourist trap. I was in college and she was in high school. We became fast friends and were excited for the schedule to come up every week to see when we would be working together. Dating was not an option, she was a little too young and her father was a little too big. Eventually I was to be married, but not to my friend. She was headed to college at MTSU and we both believed that it would be quite some time before we saw each other again.

After 9 months of marriage I was divorced and living with my parents and up to my eyeballs in debt. I was working and barely squeaking out a living with no end to it in sight. This is suicide, or so I thought on the dating circuit, so I had given up on love.

I was at work and totally out of the blue my friend dropped by. Luckily, I still had yet to take my break that day so we went out to lunch. She was having problems with her boyfriend and said she didn’t want to go out with him that evening. So I asked, “What would you do if something better came up?” She and I agreed that ending a relationship like that wasn’t the best of ideas. That night she went on her date anyway, but ended the relationship before things could get more serious.

The next day we started dating and quickly realized where our relationship would ultimately lead. Still financially reeling I proposed to my friend anyway. I didn’t have a leg to stand on nor did I have much to offer her, but she accepted anyway, much to my delight. We were married September 14, 2003.

My wife, Andrea and I have taken a very twisted road to get where we are today. We both thought we would never see each other single again, only to find each other single at the right time. I have always thought that things happen for a reason and for every bad thing a good thing will take its place. This experience is living proof of that for the both of us.

I believe in my wife and I believe in love. I don’t think I can ask for anything better than these two things.