Mark - Haverford, Pennsylvania

I Believe That We Will Win

“I!”’ I, “I Believe!”’ I Believe, “I Believe That!”’ I Believe That, “I Believe That We!”’ I Believe That We, “I Believe That We Will!”’ I Believe That We Will…….I BELIEVE THAT WE WILL WIN! I BELIEVE THAT WE WILL WIN!

I became acquainted with this chant about a year ago at a Penn Charter basketball game. I was standing on the bleachers with the rest of the fans and all of the sudden a senior shouts out “I” and everyone in the stands shouted back “I.” Then he would shout “I Believe” and everyone else would shout back “I Believe.” And he would keep going until the chant was fully completed. After the litany was over, there was a surreal sense of assurance that no matter what, we were going to win. And most of the time we did win. Since then I have used that saying for self-inspiration. I believe that confidence and motivation is the solution to achievement in life.

“I believe that we will win” does not always have to be referred to or used when playing a sport or game. Winning is equivalent to success. It can be used as a motivator for about anything. In the past baseball games, when I believe strongly enough that I was going to throw a 3-2 curveball for a strike to “k” the batter up, I had confidence in that pitch. That is what allows me to throw it for a strike is confidence. When I believe strongly that I am going to raise my grade in English from an F to a B- in six weeks, I have confidence and motivation to raise my grade. If my confidence is low than the chances for success are reduced. A strong motivation leads to higher confidence. This I believe: confidence is the key for success.