Molly - Columbia Station, Ohio
Themes: love

I’ve debated with myself since I first heard the NPR series of “This I Believe”. I wondered if I could put my core thoughts and feelings into a concise message and if anyone would want to hear it. Then I thought – what if everyone felt that way – how would anyone know about being un-adult?

I am, by the commonly understood definition – an adult. I’m a working woman with two small children, a loving husband of 20 years, and a “new” addition to my daily life with my mother recently coming to live with us. I am not the healthiest person nor am I the unhealthiest, the richest nor the poorest. I am a student of life and of people. But most of all, I am – expansive.

My life, my intellect and most importantly my love expands daily. I believe this is because I am – un-adult. One of the most upsetting things you can call me is an adult. I don’t want to be what that connotes – unyielding, static, boring, stagnated, rigid.

By being un-adult I expand my capacity to be human and to interact with others on the most elemental level. This means that I allow other impressions, other thoughts and other perspectives to flow into mine and through mine and to change me for the better when I openly accept them. It means that I look at life, at people and at the world with my heart first and my eyes and intellect second. How many of the most wonderful things I would have missed had I been an adult – the joy of a butterfly passing, the wonder of a rainbow, the beauty of a person different than me, the bliss of imagination, the freedom of total acceptance, the freshness of new perspective and understanding.

I believe this un-adultness is the best gift I can give my kids. Imparting to them that never loosing their sense of wonder and awe and playfulness are the hardest things they will ever learn. Showing them that keeping prejudice and bigotry out of their lives is difficult and takes work. Letting them learn that being an adult can mean being rigid, stagnated and boring – only if they let it.

I want to be un-adult throughout my lifetime so that I may expand, learn and love to the fullest. I believe that if I was truly adult – these things would be lost to me and the mundane details of life would be all that I would see.

I know that I can love categorically and accept people, places and ideas openly and unreservedly — by being un-adult I can accomplish this and more. I believe the word love and meaning of love can be substituted for the idea of un-adult because true and unconditional love is what binds hearts, intellects and worlds together. I am un-adult and not only do I believe I’ll stay that way – I know it.