Julian - Calhoun, Georgia
Themes: integrity

Honesty is the Best Policy

Have you ever heard the saying, “Honesty makes the heart grow fonder?” Well, I believe in honesty.

Sometimes you wonder if there are any honest people in this world. Do you ever ask yourself, “Why are honest people so hard to come by?” At an early age, my family taught me the value of honesty. My grandmother always said, “Honesty is the best policy.” Throughout the twenty-one years of my life, I’ve tried to exemplify honesty.

Honesty is a priceless quality that every human being should desire to have. Honesty will strengthen individual friendships, make positive differences in life, and make any life feel more worthwhile.

When I was a junior in high school, I was caught in a compromising position. I discovered that my best friend was being played as a fool. His girlfriend, Ashley, was cheating on him. My friend, Jason, was head over heels in love with her. I hated to break the news to him, but I hated to see him being played as a fool. Initially, he didn’t want to believe me but I finally convinced him to confront her. When confronted, Ashley broke down and cried. She confirmed my discovery. Initially, Jason was distraught but eventually managed to move on. He thanked me for telling him the truth and said, “Blake, You are a real friend.” Our friendship grew even stronger. To this day, our friendship is something I value greatly.

At a young age, I realized the importance of honesty. When I was about ten years old, my mother and I were in an Eckerd’s Drug Store. As I was walking down one particular aisle; however, I discovered a twenty-dollar bill. Without hesitation, I picked up the money. I tried to think of a good reason to keep it but I couldn’t. I showed my mother what I had discovered. We gave the money to the manager. As it turned out, the money belonged to a little old lady who was shopping in the store. She was very grateful and thanked me repeatedly for having found her money. I felt like I made a difference in someone’s life. The feeling was indescribable.

Honest people make differences in life. You have the power to impact others positively. Any life that is positively impacted by values of honesty is precious. Your life will be more worthwhile.

Honest people are very rare to find. I guess that is the reason I value honesty so much. I believe in honesty. I believe that there is goodness and honesty in everyone. What kind of life do you want to live? Do you want to be a difference maker or just another Benedict Arnold?