victoria - phila, Pennsylvania

I believe in the importance and value of simplicity and innocence. I believe that life is better when you are little. What problems do you have when you are a little kid? Your biggest fear is getting cooties from the boy you secretly have a crush on. Your biggest problem is learning the ABC’s. When you are little, black and white aren’t skin tones; they’re just other colors you have to learn. When you are little S, A, and T are just letters in the alphabet. When you are little, you don’t have to worry about homework, papers, or tests. You don’t have to worry about where you are going to college or what you are going to do after college. The biggest worry you have is whether or not you can sing the ABC’s or count to ten. You don’t have to worry about acne, boys, sex or drugs. You don’t have to worry about anything. When you little, everything is better.

When you are little you always think about what you want to be when you grow up, a doctor, an astronaut, a fireman, a teacher, a police man, a superhero. As a kid, teachers and parents would always tell me: “You can be anything you want to be”. That is true, if you study hard, get good grades, get in to a good college, you can get the job you have always dreamed of. But most of the time, that doesn’t happen. Over the years of, with all the new things I’ve learned, and with all the new things to worry about, I’ve lost site of what that job was. But when I was little I could get that job. It could do anything when I was little. But I’m not and I miss it. I’d rather be seven years old because skinned knees are easier to fix then broken hearts and the ABC’s are a lot easier to learn then the SAT’s.

When I was seven, I hated being seven. I couldn’t wait to grow up and go to high school and be a big kid. And right now I hate being 17, and I hate high school. There are rules to follow and so many things I still can’t do. At 17, kids are looking forward to college. They’re all excited to get away from home, and go out and make new friends, and have no rules or parents telling them what to do, but not me. All I keep thinking is what about after college? When I’m 27 am I going to wish I was 17 instead of seven? It seems as if life keeps getting harder and going faster and I’m falling behind, still wishing I was seven.

Thinking about growing up and life changing makes me realize how important it is to cherish the moments you have because it’s true, you don’t know what you got till it’s gone. It is important to value simplicity and innocence, and this I believe.