Tim - Chalfont, Pennsylvania
Themes: community

This I believe

A change of perspective

“They say that time changes things, but you actually have to change them yourself”(Andy Warhol). I went to public school my whole life up until last year. Last year I left public school to attend a private one an hour away from my house. Many people might find that to be a stupid decision and wonder why I would make it. It was not because I was unhappy in the public school system; it was probably better than most private schools. One of the reasons I left is because I believe that new experiences lead to greater understanding. Going to private school was probably one of the best new experiences I have ever had.

In my public school there were so many people that I might not have known somebody in my grade the whole time I was in school. I couldn’t imagine going to school and knowing almost everyone in my grade within the first couple of weeks and almost everybody in the school within the first year. This was great knowing that I could walk down a hallway and almost every person I saw I knew. It made me feel like I was part of a community, which I had never felt before.

Before coming to private school I used to think that all private school kids were rich and arrogant. I was right about one of those two things; almost everybody in private school has money even though some claim they don’t. But I was wrong about them being arrogant. Almost everybody in my school is friendly and accepting within my first week I did not feel like an outcast people were always introducing themselves and were helpful to me when I didn’t know where something was. The people in this school were like one big community compared to public school where there is just a bunch of different groups of people who don’t associate themselves with other groups.

Public and private schools are as different from each other as night and day. From the size of the schools to the people inside them, they are so dissimilar. For me, even the drive makes them a lot different going from a ten-minute drive every day to a one-hour drive. But as I look back on my decision to leave public school and my friends to do a one-hour drive every day to a completely different place, I feel that I made the right decision. I have learned many new things which I never would have learned in my public school. Something I learned is how to be part of a community. I realized that I will not spend all my time through out my life being with the same types of people and that I will have to adapt to different kinds of people. Without going to private I might not have been able to learn these things until college. My time in private school has only strengthened my belief that new experiences lead to greater understanding.