Mario - Philadpelphia, Pennsylvania
Themes: work

Throughout my teenage life I have learned many lessons and new perspectives that have helped me grow as a person. The lesson I credit most of my success to is hard work. Without hard work, success would be merely luck. Since I was a little kid my dad has always instilled in me the concept of working hard to be successful in everything I do. I believe that if a person works his hardest and fails then he still comes out of the experience being a better person because he knows he gave it his all. Throughout this year as a junior, hard work has been paying off.

Junior year has been a successful year overall and I credit this success to the hard work that I have put into it. My hard work and determination was new to me in the beginning of this year. I have learned that working hard is the main contributor to success. My grades are up significantly from last year because of the extra time and effort that I have been putting into my work. When I work hard I can honestly say that I have no regrets. With hard work I reap the rewards of success and respect from the people around me, particularly teachers. My parents have begun to respect my hard work, and they are realizing that it is paying off not only in my grades but also on the baseball field. I also know that a lack of hard work leads to more stress and failure as well. In previous years when I had neglected to give a valiant effort many struggles arose.

During my first sophomore year hard work was not even in my vocabulary, at least when it came to school. But I began to notice a very peculiar pattern that was very stressful for me. I would keep putting work off until the last minute, and at the time it was due so were three other assignments. The assignments would then be done half-heartedly or would never be completed at all, hence the bad grades, which led to a lot of stress. As a sophomore I was denied certain privileges at the end of the year such as free periods which was very frustrating for me. I then returned for a second sophomore year and made significant improvements. I began to study much harder, and I really made a good effort to complete all assignments on time. With these new work habits I improved my grades significantly.

I believe in hard work, but I do not regret the lack of hard work I put in previous to this year because, without the negative experiences, I would still be in the same old patterns. I credit my dad with the preaching of hard work to me as a kid, and now that I understand the meaning of effort and determination, the success I gain is that much more satisfying.