Laurie - Wyndmoor, Pennsylvania

Miles Can’t Cut This Tie We’ve Made

As far back as I can remember my life has revolved around long distance relationships with important people in my life. I was born in Littleton, Colorado. When I was four years old my parents got divorced, and when I was six my mom moved back to Philadelphia where she had lived until she married my dad. Fortunately my mom and I were able to sustain a good relationship even though she lived far away. We achieved this through frequent phone calls and letters. I also traveled to Philadelphia at least once every two months. I was not very impressed by our ability to maintain a relationship at the time, but now that I’m older I am able to appreciate the relationship we were able to have despite the fact that we lived far away from each other. My personal belief that people can overcome distance to maintain relationships began through this bond with my mom.

My ability to maintain long distance relationships was again tested when in seventh grade I had to move to Philadelphia to live with my mom. I had a very hard time coping with the new distance between my closest friends and me. It was particularly hard for me to be far away from my best friend, Lily, who I’ve known since first grade. Up until my move we had never spent much more than a week apart. I was afraid that the distance would put a strain on our relationship, and in ways it has. However living far away from each other has also helped us grow much closer. Lily and I both appreciate our friendship a lot more because we have to work hard to maintain it. I go to Colorado four or five times a year to visit, and she comes back East in the summer. Because we are not always together, the time we do get to spend with each other is very important. Lily is there for me in a way that no one else is, even though it’s usually over the phone.

I have learned through positive experiences like those with my mom and Lily that people who live far away from each other can maintain fantastic relationships if both parties make the effort. This I believe: distance only separates people if they let it.