andrew - Albuquerque, New Mexico
Themes: work

“This I Believe”

I believe in the value of hard work. One day in Biology class we were discussing Darwin’s theory of evolution. Our teacher would always tell us how if we were going to survive and be at the “top of the food chain,” that we had better learn how to put in some good hard work and not have everything fed to us by our parents. He said that once we got out there into the real world that we would be lost and not know what to do because we were so used to having things without working for them. He compared us to the wild beast in captivity that would never be able to survive in the wild again because it was so used to having its food given to it. We would laugh and take it lightly and that was the end of it, we never really took him seriously.

Then one day I was working during spring break for my aunt unloading boxes off the ups truck and into her store. A few friends called to see if I wanted to go hangout but I told them that I was working. The standard reply was “oh that sucks well talk to you later.” At first this made me kind of angry because I knew that they were enjoying their spring break and I was working. But then I realized that I was not the one that was. I felt like I was preparing myself for life.

Many kids didn’t value what they had because they didn’t have to work for it. They just asked for it and it was theirs. They didn’t know what it was like to work for something and then finally get it and feel the reward. These kids who were given everything were not going to do well once they got out of the house. They would get out there and not know what to do because they had never needed do anything for themselves. I do not blame the kids for this, but I believe the cycle begins with their parents. As soon as I was old enough to hold a rake, my dad had me raking. As soon as I was old enough to push the lawn mower my dad had me mowing the lawn. He made the jobs seem like a privilege. Sometimes the jobs seem like a burden but in the back of my head I know that my dad is just preparing me for later on when I need to do all the jobs for myself.

I now saw what my teacher had told us in a new light. He was right, if certain people didn’t learn how to work for things that they would not succeed in life. Now I sit back in biology and pay attention and when he gives us his speech. I listen and respond the same way my classmates do but I give a sort of half smile and think about my future. I believe in hard work.