Kevin - Philadelphia, Pennsylvania

The Future of Music and Art

Music is a very important and influential aspect in my life. I love to just pick up the guitar and play, with each sound displaying my mood at that point in time. I taught myself to play about three years ago, and since then, my style has evolved into a form of improvisational blues/classic rock. The kind of music I play is very uncommon by today’s standards. There are no current innovative artists who I draw inspiration from. Instead, I have looked at such artists as Otis Taylor, Jim Morrison, and Jimi Hendrix. I know these artists today because of their past popularity and public influence. But today, I turn on the radio and hear all of the same, whiny, pretentious, unimaginative rock. There are no creative instrumental solos, no poetic lyrics, and each song is so structured and exact, that they lack the imperfections that entice the ears. Over the past few years, I have realized the quality of rock music is at an all-time low. After thinking about this, I quickly realized that the same thing was happening to many other types of art in America.

Painting, music, theatre, film, all have been at a certain kind of inartistic state. In my childhood, I have never wanted to go to a museum, or see an opera, or anything like that. Most of the movies that are in the theaters today are based upon public appeal and visual stimulation.

The quality of past art that is undesirable to today’s culture is the aspects that require patience to endure. America today has grown too lazy; watching TV while sitting on the couch all day, sleeping until noon, and looking for the easy way out are only some of the examples of America’s Laziness. Most people in country today do not have the energy, time, and willpower to motivate them to either go to the museum and stare at unanimated paintings, or sit through an eccentric, unusual performance.

In our country at the present time, the quality of the arts is decaying because of the lack of public interest, and unless something new occurs that can motivate the public, the US will lose an artistic identity in the world, this I believe.