Gabriel - Voorhees, New Jersey

I believe that one’s legacy is not shaped by his greatest moments but rather his everyday actions. Society’s Supermen are those who strive to make the world a better place with everything they do.

My father grew up in a rural area of Cuba prior to the Castro regime. Despite my grandfather’s efforts, he only received a minimal education, as one was forced to survive for the moment, rather than for the future. Eventually, his family was able to leave Cuba and begin life anew in the United States. Nonetheless, my father’s life was not yet void of opposition.

While only a teenager, my father moved to Spain all by himself. Although he knew no one in the area, he was expected to return with something to make his family proud. After years of hard work, my father left Spain and returned to the United States with a medical degree in his hand. He was the first of his family to ever obtain a degree.

Today, my father has furthered himself into a successful individual as a doctor. Everyday, he works to be a pioneer. This fact was recognized several years ago when my father was awarded the greatest prize and honor .in his field. Unphased by this, my father continues to work and live as if the award does not exist. He continues to provide the best medical attention possible to his patients regardless of their sex, race, occupation, or social standing. When asked about his job, my father states that he saves lives on a daily basis; he simply states that he does nothing more than his role in life. Most importantly, my father is driven not by money or fame, but the same principles and morals that led him when he left his family to earn his degree.

Today, I look at my father with tremendous admiration and respect. He is a great father, husband, friend, and American. He is my definition of the American dream. When I look at my father I se not a famous doctor or a rags to riches story. I see a Superman trying to make the world a better place.