Anthony - Columbia Crossroads, Pennsylvania

When trying to think of something to believe in, I realized something. What CAN we believe in? Everything is twisted by others that nothing seems to be true anymore! So I feel that there is only one thing for us to believe in: ourselves. Who can we trust in anymore? Only ourselves. We are the only trustworthy people that we know of. All of us have to admit that our best friends are not always completely honest with us, don’t always tell us everything that we need to know, and they sometimes aren’t there for us when we need them (though I must admit that they are most of the time). We cannot trust in the news or media, they just embellish on reports or entertainment in order to keep critic’s ratings up. They twist stories, turn plots upside-down, butcher clips of people talking so that they say what the producers want them to say, and always seem to show the bad news, never anything that is good happening in the world. So that cuts out the media. Is there anyone else that we can believe in?

Ok you may think that our family is trustworthy. You may think that they can keep your secrets and would tell you anything. But you are wrong, everyone who thinks that is wrong. Do you think that your parents will tell you everything that you want to know? Do you think that they include every detail? Parents are just about as trustworthy as your friends. Do they keep all of your secrets? Or do they come up at the next family reunion, then apologize with “Oh come on. It’s funny!” So that knocks parents off of the list.

As previously mentioned, you can only trust yourself. You won’t give away all of your most treasured secrets unless you want to. No one can pick your brain apart to find what they are looking for. On the flip side though, you must trust yourself to tell someone what they are looking for. And if you don’t want to…well then the circle begins again. Then they may not be able to trust you, and then they may realize what I have realized. We can only trust ourselves. This I believe.