Ingrid - Miami, Florida
Themes: equality

I am a feminist. Like the feminists before me, I battle misogynistic monuments of concrete and do not let them anger me or overrun me. There is logic behind the historical repression of women. It is a social weapon to keep a minority from reaching its full potential. Like all repression, its common denominator is fear. Real women, women with bodies and voices, are a threat to the stability of society as silent, corseted Victorian dolls have held their place for centuries and asserted male sexual and social potency.

Our fight is not one of anger, for mourning for the past is like crying over spilt milk. We will use logic and the power of signification to weave a better future for this generation and those to come. We as women must find our real selves, discover and accept our bodies and sexuality, setting aside all the stylistic crap and moral taboos placed upon our shoulders by a White male-dominated society. We have found the index of the problem– the reason for our undermining and self-doubt– and it is time for us to soar to new heights. Each woman will create, through speech and action, her own unique ideals and language for each woman represents a world of her own.

I hope this does not sound like a hopeless tirade, but serves to explain why I choose to pursue the feminist cause. I, like many newly awakened women, continue walking the path to further discover myself and the mysteries of my gender. I believe this class will expose and challenge the dogmatic construct we take for truth—the outdated social apparatus in all its impotence. As a feminist, I believe to have found the tip of the iceberg. It is only the tip, however, and as I dive deeper into it, I am at once curious and empowered by new ideas and philosophies. As I move forward in life, I expect to find some of those alternative theories and the women who, through their art and social struggle, have created a world of limitless opportunity for subsequent generations of women to follow.