Tracy - Whitefish, Montana
Themes: carpe diem

I have seen 200 pound men body slam each other, bar stool races, Marion Jones win a gold medal, a house built in four days and I have learned to tango, swing, and Jewish dance. My life has been full of these wild events and those moments are now my favorite memories.

My parents always tell me that in order to experience life I have to participate in a wide range of activities. They have taught me to “Carpe Diem”, and to never let anyone else influence what I am going to do with my time. Because of the things that my parents have taught me, I have been able to experience many things that my friends and classmates would never dream of seeing. At age 18 I have already done some very weird things, but those crazy fun things are what make my life enjoyable.

When I was at Wrestlemania, two drunken Mexicans, four Japanese, two boys and a man who was hitting on my mom surrounded me. I will never forget those people and I never would have me them if I would have just sat in my living room and watched the spectacle. At the 1996 Summer Olympics I was able to watch a sport I had never heard of. Handball, it turns out, is a huge sport in Europe. Thousands of fans were yelling at the top of their lungs and the excitement in the air was like nothing I have ever felt. While at the Olympics, I just happened to run in to a liver medallist gymnast from Europe. He was very kind, took out his medal, and placed it around my neck so I could get a picture. I got to wear a silver medal just because I literally ran into a stranger.

There are so many other things in which I have done like eating fish eyes cooked by Japanese students, getting lost in Tijuana, Mexico, swimming with dolphins, and nearly escaping from a grizzly bear. All these things and many more happened to me because I took the opportunities to experience them. I believe all people should try to do everything that they can at least once in their lives. Everyone should seize the day and live their lives to the fullest and most adventurous that is physically possible. This year I plan to sky dive and much more.