Vinith - Albuquerque, New Mexico
Themes: pleasure

I believe in perfection without practice. As a high school student, my worst nightmare is simple: HOMEWORk!!! I believe every single normal kid who goes to school hates homework. Some students are smart and enjoy learning. I enjoy learning too. But studying in school and is for school. Bringing it home, is totally stretching our patience to the maximum. That’s what I believe.

I believe school is at school and not at home. I believe its not fair on some people who get the point the first time they do it and don’t have to do it over and over again at home as home work. I believe that students should get the privilege to choose. Choice is the main key to success, not doing it over and over again. I believe that a typical teacher is someone who doesn’t force you to practice and practice even if you get the point, someone who gives you choice. I would always want and have wanted a teacher who says “We have our quiz next week, here is the homework; you feel confident enough to not do it then fine, but if you don’t get the whole thing you better do it for your own good.” I believe there is at least one teacher like that in the whole world. This world would be much better with more teachers like them. That’s what I believe.

I believe this because I have experience the terror of homework a lot. In my middle school year, up until eighth grade was fine. In eighth grade we move to the US and changed schools. Then it all began. My mom filled out registration card for my eighth grade classes. She didn’t know all the different names for classes, so she checked a mark on Algebra-Readiness. Since, we were new, even I didn’t know that the class was for people who needed help in math, until half of the second semester. The problem was that it was too easy. I had to do all the homework everyone else did and sit through the class when people asked question I could answer in my sleep. I had to do tons of homework, which helped the other kids understand the subject more, while taking away my precious time.

This type of “Practice” is what I believe should be stopped. This practice does not make perfect. I can use it in other ways. I could be doing some other homework, which I think can help. There are a lot of other better things that will help me in life that I can do instead. I could even use that time to have a little bit of fun.