Samuel - Albuquerque, New Mexico

I believe In The Freedom To Skate

Skating has really changed in the past forty years. It has turned from riding a little piece of wood that you would ride barefooted to the beach, to the most popular street activity. And have a bigger population than kids in leagued baseball. This is what I do; I am an active skater I compete in competitions. But skating has changed; there is nowhere skate anymore. I am not talking about skate parks, I am talking about street spots such as stairs, docks, and handrails, this are everywhere where there is pavement, but the problem is getting kicked out. I have been kicked out of different places at least one hundred times. By police, security guards, government officials, janitors, even a garbage man once.

Just for skating, no graffiti, no drugs, or anything like that.

A lot of the time you just get kicked out, I can understand that, but sometimes a stuck up cop will give you a problem and sometimes even charge you. I believe that this is wrong, two of my friends were put on probation, a couple have had to do community service, and many have had gotten over hundred dollar fine, for just skating! That to me is not right. One of my friends has had to pay a fine for skating that was as much or more for running a ride light. And running a red light can kill someone! That to me isn’t right.

A lot of people say that skaters are destructive and do and sell drugs, and just do things to piss people off, but that is just the stereotype. I won’t lie, some do those kinds of things, but that doesn’t mean they all do. That is the image they get from movies and TV shows. Notice in just about every movie skaters are the bad guys, smoke and pick on people. And shows like “Viva la Bam” gives the impression that all skaters are like that. But that is totally not true.

Filming a skate video is practically impossible. My friends and I have made one already and I am currently filming for to and It is near impossible. You either have to get there early in the morning, to beat the security guard or go late at night, after they have left. Filming for a skate video takes time. It can even take thirty minutes to land one trick, which in a skate video could be anywhere from five seconds to if you do a run (more than one trick in a row) can be about fifteen to twenty seconds. So when you add a security to this is it is practically impossible.

Is there freedom to skate? I do not believe that, so let me recap, Skater’s have a bad reputation from movies and shows, the are seen as the antagonist that’s is the bad guy. Security will always be there. But even with all this I still love skating and, do it as long as I can still walk.