Genevieve - Albuquerque, New Mexico

Impossibilities are, by definition, things that cannot be done. Their existence is proven by limitations, situations that prevent me from doing everything I want to. But it seems to me that refusing to accept these impossibilities makes them possible. I know that I can conquer whatever limitation may come before me, if not in the current time or manner. I know this because of my experience in life.

In elementary school I knew a girl named Diana. She was obese, and spoke very little English. She had diabetes, though I didn’t know it at the time. It seemed impossible, but we became friends. Every day we rode on the swings and talked. Dad by day he English improved. We talked so much, I must have learned all about her life, but now I have forgotten it. Years later I saw her in the neighborhood grocery store. She had slimmed down and spoke to me quite fluently. Her experience taught me that illness and language barriers can be overcome.

My mother had tried for years to get a job. Ever since my brother and I had been old enough to take care of ourselves, she had been looking. But not one of those she applied to or tried suited her. None were challenging enough, or had the right workload, or decent co-workers. Late last year, she finally persevered. She found a three-quarter time job in Albuquerque with an intelligent boss. I have never seen her so happy; she searched for a needle in a haystack and found it.

Last summer I took P.E., to open up a class period in my freshman year. One day our assignment was to run 800 meters, timed- and then improve that time. Unfortunately, we weren’t told to improve until after we had run the first 800. My time was four minutes. So I ran a second time, and my time was also four minutes. I didn’t think I could run any faster-I was certain that was my limit. I had to try, though. So I began sprinting farther away from the end- and my time was three minutes, fifty-nine seconds. My breakfast promptly vacated my stomach. I triumphantly wiped my mouth, for I had conquered myself- become a modern example of mind over matter.

There are hundreds of stories like these that I could relate; of people I never knew and of my own family. Time and again impossibilities are disproved, simply because of the persistence of human nature. These reinforce my belief, over and over, in the ability of human nature to conquer the impossible.