Victor - Hatley, Wisconsin

Victor Schultz

Life and its Pal

Life, no matter how hard we struggle, is unfair. I think that if you and everyone knew, like I do, the way to stop the unjustness of it all, this world would have a lot less problems. In case you haven’t guessed, life’s pal is unfairness.

When I was in fourth grade, a magician came to our school and performed the most dazzling tricks including the great magician wonders that everyone sees on TV. This wasn’t TV; this was real, with no cutout film or fake special effects. With every trick, I became more hypnotized; my hand shot up to volunteer again and again. Still, the man would not call on me. Then, finally, the man called up the “kid in the blue shirt up front.” I walked down the rows of kids, who sullenly watched, for they were as captivated as I had been with his tricks. He told me to rip up the tissue paper lying on the table in front of him. I handed him the ripped up paper; he crumpled it up, opened his hand, and unfolded the pieces of paper that amazingly, were no longer ripped up. It was now a star and moon wizard hat that he presented to me as a present! Later at recess, a girl and her friend came over to the swings where I was playing. The first girl came up to me and told me I wasn’t being fair for it was her friend’s birthday, and her friend should’ve been called down, not me. She said that to make up for the magician’s mistake, I should give away the hat as a birthday present.

“Well, too bad, he picked me, not you, so the hat is mine!” I shouted at her.

“That’s not fair though!” the supposed “birthday girl” cried.

“Life’s not fair!” I screeched back. Ever since then, I have held to that fateful screech, the screech that sent us all to the principal’s office, half deafening the playground supervisor in the process.

When we got to the principal’s office, he made us sit down and tell him what happened. Immediately the two girls leapt into some sort of science fiction romance tale, spiced with a dash of lies and a side of fibs. I sat there with my jaw open, catching the occasional fly. Then, with an evil cackle, the principal turned to me and said, “Give the girls the hat, Victor.”

I was stunned. “But why, it’s mine, the magician gave it to me!”

“Give it to them or throw it out.”

I jumped up, ripping the piece of paper into tiny pieces. “Fine, here!” I lamented as I chucked the confetti that was formerly known as a hat in their hair. For some reason, the big man let me walk out, maybe he was to stunned to do anything else. I’ll never know, I guess.

So, how can we stop things like this from happening everyday? We can stop wishing things were fair for us. Start BEING fair instead. Let a harassed mother slide by you in traffic or allow someone else who really deserves the promotion you wanted get it instead. Give some thought to the things you do; how will the action make someone hate life a little more? Will it affect their future opinion of you? What can you do instead? By asking these questions, life will still be unfair, but at least the people won’t be!