Taydisa - Weston, Wisconsin

This I Believe…

Have you ever gotten to home base and thought to yourself “Should I stop here?’’ No, you should keep going and make another homer. Why I believe this is because it is gratifying to have a new goal after you succeed in one. In addition, you should have a lifetime goal. Goals are terrific to have unless you want to end up having four kids, working at Burger King (which your kids call it Booger Fling) when you’re already 44 and wondering when the heck did this all happen? I sure don’t want that!

When I came across this, I was in the 3rd grade, playing in right field and praying to God that a ball wouldn’t come my way. Well look at that, a left-hander just hit one my way! Run left, run right ohhh my gosh here it comes… Plop. I opened one of my eyes and there it was, not on the ground but in my glove, so I grinned ear to ear and threw it in to the pitcher. Guess what? We ended up getting… a double play! Well now I’m in 7th grade and going to start my 6th season of softball and I still try getting better at it. For example my goals for this season are to hit another triple, make a double play, catch every fly that comes to me, and to hit a homer. I also want to be a fast pitch pitcher.

Goal setting and softball are a lot a like. I would bet you ten bucks you’re trying to figure out how in the heck they are anything alike. I guess I’m going to have to explain. When you make a goal and you succeed with it, you get that same feeling like the first time you hit a ball and you want to reach another one over and over again.

In the end, making a goal makes you feel good and so does making a homer, triple, double, or whatever you do in that inning. I know I get mad for my parents being on me a lot, but I’m human and a teenager; it’s what I do. I also realize where would I be in 10 years if I didn’t have goals. Where would anyone be? I believe that you can’t stop running once you hit one home run. You have to keep going.

“Goals are dreams with deadlines.” ~Diana Scharf Hunt