Danielle - Whitefish, Montana

I believe in perseverance. There are times in life when I feel like everyone is trying to confuse me and drag me down with drugs, alcohol, sex, and other things I know are morally wrong. I am tempted and I know most of the time it would be easiest to give in and go with the crowd. Then I remember I must follow the path God has paved perfectly for me and persevere even when it’s difficult.

The definition of persevere is to persist in or remain constant to a purpose, idea, or task in the face of obstacles or discouragement. One situation when I have been discouraged and ended up resisting temptations and persevering was during the winter of my junior year in high school. I was angry with my family, overwhelmed by school and its associated drama, suffering chronic daily headaches, and simply confused about day-to-day life. I don’t drink and I have never used drugs, but the world kept putting these ideas in my head. I thought these actions would be fun; they would make me relax and make my pain go away. Life would be easier. I struggled for a few weeks. I was confused about why I was longing for the terrible things that I had spent my entire life learning about witnessing the effects of how they could potentially ruin your life. I began to doubt myself and God. Then one evening during my first daily devotional of the week I read Revelations 2:10, “Be faithful until death, and I will give you the crown of life.” I knew God was speaking to me and I began to think to myself – Do I really want to disobey God and my beliefs, and turn to the world for relief and acceptance that won’t come? I knew I was straying and trying to fill the gap I had made between God and myself with temporary things. I decided I must live fully for God and let Him take control of my life. I must remain obedient and faithful to God through whatever obstacles may come my way. Philippians 4:13 says, “I can do everything through Him who gives me strength.” I must and I will persevere.