Larry - Seattle, Washington

Self-Sufficiency Development

I have observed and marveled at how the human is exceedingly resourceful, adaptive and resilient. There seems to be a basic and an innate drive in each to survive, to better one’s lot and to move forward. But not all do. Some succeed while others fall behind, or fail.

So what are the criteria for the success of this self-sufficiency?

It appears to me that five basic and nurturing elements are required. These elements are:

Hope – Hope is that possibility exists. An individual needs to believe that their wants or desires can be accomplished. They need to have the confidence that whatever they are going to do is possible; whatever the goal might be, it is attainable.

Opportunity – Opportunity is the availability of the resources. These are the necessary human, physical and monetary resources for the individual to proceed.

Purpose – Purpose is the real motivator for each individual. Purpose goes hand-in-hand with goals. Purpose is the motivation; goals are the target for accomplishment. The purpose may be abstract, or specific to the individual; however it must produce a sense of accomplishment and instill the hope for meaningful results.

Education – Education is the acquiring of insights, knowledge and skills required to give and nurture hope in an individual, to enable them to chose their goals and to support their activities that are vital to the accomplishment of their goals.

Civil Society – Civil Society is where a predictable, stable and hospitable government, community or peoples exists. A civil environment is foundational for the long term success of self-sufficiency developmental.

These five elements, and the recognition of their fundamental interplay and interdependency, I believe, are essential for the meaningful and lasting self-sufficiency development of an individual, any individual.