Adam - 45255, Ohio

Thinking Ahead

One morning, I was watching Forest Gump and Forest ( Tom Hanks ) began talking about shoes. He told the lady sitting by him on the bench that he had worn lots of shoes and her shoes looked comfortable. She told him that they weren’t, the shoes felt horrible. After a few moments of silence, Forest says “…Mama always said you could tell an awful lot about a person by his shoes…where they going, where they been” and that scene got me thinking about shoes. I believe in watching out for where I walk and always have the right shoes.

When I go run, do I wear flip flops? No. I wear running shoes or basketball shoes. When I swim, do I even wear shoes? No, I go barefoot. Wearing the right type of shoes is like knowing what is coming ahead and going out of the way to be prepared for it, and that is the important thing. Preparing for what will happen in the future.

I had an eighth grade teacher who taught a class based on a book called The Seven Habits of Highly Effective People by Steven Covey and one of the habits was being proactive. The definition of being proactive is acting in advance to deal with an expected difficulty. I used to never think ahead to what will happen later on. Planning ahead, such as going to college, starting a bank account, saving up for a car are all ways of being proactive. If I wasn’t proactive and not thinking about driving, I would wake up on my 16th birthday and not be able to go anywhere without asking mom for a ride. It would feel so stupid asking someone for a ride, and if I had just thought ahead a year earlier and started working on my drivers license then, I wouldn’t have that problem.

Many people get out of High School; not knowing what they’re going to do with their lives. High school is a good time to begin looking at the options life gives. It’s a time where kids like me need to start thinking ahead. Searching for colleges early and thinking of a major are good ways of planning ahead for life. Or skip college, go straight to work and start there. Either way, it’s a great way to get a head start on life by being proactive.

Although I never liked the teacher who taught the class, the lesson stood in my head. Thinking ahead is a good way to solve many problems that haven’t even come up yet, just solve them before they do.