Jennifer - Sykesville, Maryland

I believe in the power of sisters. My sister and I are the best of friends, and the best of enemies. Our relationship has had its highs and its lows, but through it all, I wouldn’t trade my sister for the world. We are stronger together than apart and together we accomplish things that would be impossible on our own.

Take last month for example. I’m at college, trying to get my work done, and my mom is bugging me to come home for the weekend to see my sister’s – Sarah’s – high school play. I really didn’t want to make the three hour drive, and my mom accepted. Later that Thursday night, I got another call from home, but this time it was my little sister. Sarah is asking me to come home as well. I thought “Why can’t you people just accept?!” when my annoying sister told me why I needed to come home.

Apparently my mom had a date Saturday night. Now, this wasn’t just any date. This was my mom’s first day in twenty-five years! My mom had told my sister how nervous she was, and Sarah knew how much better Mom would feel with me home to help her get ready. I was surprised and touched that my little sister had thought to call me and ask me to reconsider. We decided that I would surprise our mom by just showing up on Saturday morning.

Sarah managed to keep the secret, and when Saturday morning rolled around, our mom was still clueless. When I got home, I quietly shut the car door and crept to the house. The look on my mom’s face when I casually walked in was priceless. While she stood there, completely speechless, Sarah and I just looked at each other and smiled. Together, we made our mom ecstatically happy.

If we hadn’t worked together, this wouldn’t have happened. If Sarah hadn’t called me, and if I hadn’t agreed, we would never have gotten to see that look on our mother’s face. Together, we accomplished so much more than we could have apart. Together, we made our mother ecstatic. Through all the fights and all the tears, we stick together like only sisters do. I believe that my sister is the one person who will always be there for me. I believe that the bond between us is stronger than anything else, and makes us a force to be reckoned with. I believe in the power of sisters.