Lucas - Whitefish, Montana
Themes: war

I believe an eye for an eye is a very good way to look at things. An eye for an eye works in almost every situation. This goes back to a lot of phrases like, “You reap what you sow”, “Do onto others as you would like them to do on to you”. These phrases have a very strong meaning is a very debated topic in our society today. For example, during World War II it is very commonly debated whether we should have dropped the atomic bombs on Hiroshima and Nagasaki. I believe President Truman made the best choice for the American people as a whole when he chose to end the war in this way. The Japanese would have done the same to us if they were in the situation we were in. If we had invaded Japan it would have cost us hundreds of thousands of American lives to take the island of Japan. This also went back to the eye for an eye because the Japanese hit us preemptively at Pearl Harbor. Pearl Harbor is just one example of people getting even with each other. It can be on that type of scale or it can be just as small as someone insulting someone for what they might have previously done to him or her. This also brings up the necessity for this if everyone just obeyed the golden rule there would not be a problem. Since this isn’t a perfect world there will always be some sort of conflict. I think a leader who obeys these two rules and never is the one instigating the conflict would be the kind of leader we need to see more of in this country. Our current president is great men when it comes to making sure America’s interests are being protected. After September 11th somebody broke the golden rule and we were out to make sure that the person responsible would get what he disserved for the terrible act of terror he committed. These are a few of the countless places in history where the golden rule was broken and an eye for an eye was upheld.