Roberto - Albuquerque, New Mexico

“I believe in having a Religion and Believing in God”

Believing in God is an important part in my life. By going to church every weekend and doing my duty, is a way to show it all. Belief in God is the best thing that I can have. If I have God in my life then I am set for anything in this world.

Having a religion is another important thing in my life. It is important for me to have a religion because without it I am lost. Having a religion puts me into a group of people, a group of people that praise and the serve the Lord. Also inside the church are groups. Groups in which you can serve the Lord, but in different ways, but the choice in which group I choose is mine. This group gave me the chance to serve the Lord the way I choose to.

I, Roberto Vigil am a Catholic who attends Sacred Heart Church every Sunday morning. When I first entered this church I was not involved in anything, just another believer and spectator to the word of the Lord. There were so many jobs: Choir, Altar Servers, Ushers, Eucharistic Ministers, Lectors, Mayordomos, etc. Some of these were for young adults and up. So I decided to become an Altar Server. An Altar Server is a child from the age of seven to about fifteen years old. What the Altar Server does is carry the cross and/or candles down the aisle for the entrance and exit, Help the father prepare the altar for the Eucharist. I believed that having this job would make my relationship with the Lord a lot stronger, and it did indeed.

I grew a bit older and was about thirteen years old, I decided I needed more. So to get this something more, I became a Lector. A lector is someone that reads the readings every mass. I enjoyed this very much. I enjoyed it because now I was both and Altar Server and a Lector, this made my relationship with the Lord a lot stronger. When I first started reading I was embarrassed because of all the people I was reading in front of. But then it came to me, that I am not there to read for the heck of it to all these people, but to spread the word of the Lord.

Joining a ministry in the church was a very good decision for me. I believe this because it made a very tight, great, loving relationship with the Lord. I was first a person just sitting there and listening to the readings not knowing what they meant, but once I got involved it all changed

I am now fourteen, and am a Lector and in the Choir at my parish. When I first joined the choir, I was embarrassed of singing in front of the people, but then I decided to do the same thing I did as the last time. The truth is that the reason I am there for is for God, nothing else. I believe that God does not care how I sing, read, or look, but that I believe in him, and that is all that matters.