Fully Immersing Ourselves In Nature

Jesse - State College, Pennsylvania
Themes: gratitude, nature

The whole process of moving can be agonizing for anybody, especially for a six-year old. Leaving my house in town for what seemed like the middle of nowhere was especially difficult. Instead of falling asleep to the sound of vehicles passing by, I now had the endless annoyance of crickets and bull frogs echoing through my head. Here I was, confined to the walls of my room; I found myself nervous and unsure of what bounded me to this new place.

As days passed me by, a sense of curiosity grew within me. My backyard was no longer fenced in; it was now surrounded by open fields. I wanted to learn my about my new surroundings. I decided to do some exploring and continued down a freshly mowed path leading to my grandparent’s farm. I finally came across a clearing and stumbled upon my grandma working in her garden. She dropped everything, and we began what is the most memorable walk of my life.

As we hiked through the woods and meadows, she carefully pointed out the magnificent plant life blooming all around us. We then navigated a rapidly flowing stream, which eventually led us to a secluded pond surrounded by cat-tails. I observed closely, as she introduced me to wildlife I never new existed.

I was immediately hooked. Never before did I experience anything like this. There was evidence of decay and rejuvenation all around me. The never-ending cycle of birth, life, death, and rebirth was finally put into perspective. Nature soon became my place of refuge. I could escape life’s stresses and demands, while blocking out disruptive thoughts. This bond grew throughout my childhood summers, where my days were spent playing in the creek and climbing trees.

Now that I’m older, it’s easier for me to appreciate what nature truly has to offer. Whether I’m crawling through a cave, fishing at my favorite pond, or hiking through a fern-filled forest, nature enhances my well-being, giving me guidance and inspiration through life’s daily struggles.

We are living in fast paced world where people have become distracted and lost within our complicated societies. They have forgotten or have never been introduced to the importance of nature and the qualities it provides us. We should respect nature and allow our imaginations to run wild within its beauty. By exploring and fully immersing ourselves in nature, we are able to enjoy its therapeutic qualities. This I believe.