Katherine - Middleburg, Florida

A Small Scale Dream

We all have had someone in our childhood, whether it be a teacher, a counselor, a coach, or an adult friend, who has made a difference in who we are today. They are someone we will remember for the rest of our lives. This person may have given us the confidence to do wonderful things, taught us something we will never forget, or just made our day a little brighter every time we saw them.

I want to be this person; not for three or four children, but for as many as possible. I want to make a career out of changing the life of a child. Let’s face it, thinking of a tactful and efficient way to change the world is not just hard, but sometimes unthinkable and hopeless. However, I know that using the gifts and virtues we have been given, we can all change the world, one person at a time. I believe that by starting with the innocence of a child, we can bring strong, confident, and successful people into our world. I’m not willing to sit back and leave it to the parents, for we all have seen that not every child is blessed with a loving and supportive family.

If we want to pursue a world that is free of judgment, oppression, and cruelty; a world that is full of honest people, hard-working people with goals, optimism, and success at their feet, we must start at the root; the population of tomorrow. I want to teach younger children how to say please and thank you, how to treat others as they would like to be treated, and how to make the best out of every situation. I want to teach older children that designer jeans are not important and that dreams and aspirations can be achieved through hard work and dedication. I want to teach children of all ages to look past the exterior and see people for what they have inside. I want to show them that the heroes of our time are not movie stars and pop singers, but everyday people, like you and me, who can make a difference. I aspire to show them that a positive attitude helps overcome rough situations and will take you far in life. I want to give a child hope, faith, and confidence to venture out into our world and change the lives of others, as I changed theirs. I have a dream that starts out on the lowest level, but with the big picture in mind, I will change the world one child at a time.