Joyce - Mott, North Dakota
Age Group: 65+

?I believe the things that Momma said go on and on.

As you were growing up there were sayings that were said and had to obeyed on a daily basis in your life’s path, that you thought nothing about, but that they must be obeyed.. They were the background sounds of your life. But as you proceeded thru your life and became a teenager, you began to listen closer to these mother based commands and decide not to have these things in your life, when you grew up.

In my life it was,” we are going out now, every body go potty”. If you dare say “but I don’t have to”you got a glare or comment that suddenly made you have to go. Do you remember” hand washing inspection”. “Are you sure you washed those hands?” “Go try again and do a better job and this time use the finger nail brush”! Then there was the ever present, “eat everything on your plate” because there were children starving somewhere in the world and somehow if you ate everything on your plate, they felt better. The worst one I pulled on my children was..”put a sweater on, I’m cold”. I am sure most children think that when they grow up and have children of their own, they would be free of these old sayings. Where do all these sayings go? . You are determined never to use these words or ways in your life with your children.. But one day.. all of a sudden, out of your mouth comes your mothers words! Mentally and without wanting to show

anyone around you that you just horrified yourself, you do all you can to reword the situation. When no one is looking you go check the nearest mirror and you see your mothers face in yours!

Example:( Note: my children are in their forties) and I still ask politely “ It is a bit chilly, don’t you need a sweater?”. Note the change in the makeup of the sentence. The order is still in there, but it becomes a question of concern not an order. The music of these words did not change, however, from their childhood and my youngest son recognizes it and the sounds of it and gives

me a especially knowing look. He reminds me of his age and offers to get me a sweater. I smile sheepishly, put my sweater on and resolve not to worry about their warmth in the future. You see you have planted these sayings & tones in the subconsciousness of your children and they recognize it no matter how you change your words, to grown up words.

We have grandchildren now and somehow this starts all the “mommies said” urges all over

again. They are still embedded in the mother part of the brain, so of course I find myself saying, “everyone go potty, we going shopping now” etc. etc. Children are more astute now, and know there are potties everywhere, gas station, McDonald’s, etc. So, yes, they too give me a knowing look but they still are in the “must obey” realm of their lives. What’s my excuse now for saying this? “We don’t want to have to stop over and over again while we are shopping. Ain’t life

wonderful? The old becomes new and the “Mommy said “ sayings continue in updated fashions.

So where do these saying go…well, I believe they go from generation to generation of course, and each generation updates them. The music and tones remain the same thru out the ages. The nail brush still exits and there are still starving children somewhere in the world, so you see these “Mommy said “sayings and instructions are still needed. … and the wheel goes round and round..

This I believe.