Robert - Wausau, Wisconsin

Being Odd

Skipping in the hallway, hugging people at random. These are things kids in my school think are odd, but I believe that to be odd is to have fun and not have a care. I believe it is important to be odd. I don’t mean one should wear pajamas to school or just go in their underwear to work. I mean have fun even if people think you are eccentric.

I came to this belief at school when I was walking down the hall. I saw my friend skipping down the hall and hugging people. I was amazed at the nerve he had to be hugging people. As I stood there looking at him, I heard him say: “I think you are nice and I like you!” Of course at my school, this is very strange behavior. When he hugged me, I asked him why he was doing this he said, “I don’t care. I just want to have fun and show people I care about them.” That day I learned that as long as you are doing good things, it is okay to be a bit abnormal.

Of course some people may think you are insane but if you don’t act a little atypical you will have a dumb and boring life. I believe if you are odd you have a little more fun then everyone else. Do little things like instead of Eating meatloaf have sushi. Instead of having tomatoes, have chili peppers. I believe if everyone was a little bit unusual, people could be happier. Being odd is good for these reasons: it makes me happy and it makes others laugh. Being odd is something I enjoy for leisure.

Another thing that has strengthened my belief is when I was at my friend’s house. We were fighting imaginary monsters and for our age it was pretty peculiar. Some of my cousins laughed at us. That me realize that I did not care being different. Being odd can make different from everyone else. I think being odd is good for you because if you are odd, you will realize that some people are like this every day. Some people have disabilities that make them seem odd. I believe it is okay to be odd. I believe that being odd can help make people better.