Andrew - State College, Pennsylvania

I believe…

I believe that college is the best time in a person’s life. Ever since I was a junior in high school my brother would tell me stories about college and how great it was. “It’s the best four or five years of your life” he said. I’ve heard this countless times before but I guess I never really understood how going to school could be all that great. The next year, along with looking at colleges I was planning on attending, I decided to go visit him at Kutztown University. As the night was winding down, I remember sitting on this couch with him and his roommate, Bob. He couldn’t believe that his time in college was almost over, and I was just about to start the best time of my life. I could see it in his face, the last thing he wanted to do was to leave Kutztown.

Now that I only have a few weeks left at Penn State, I’m starting to really understand how he felt. It’s sad to think that such a great chapter of my life is coming to an end. As many chapters of my life have ended, I have looked forward to the ones to come. This is the first time where I honestly feel that the next chapter will not be as great as this one.

I want to specify what I mean when I say college is the best time in a person’s life. I’m not talking about everyone who has a undergraduate degree. I don’t believe in having a college degree, I believe in going to college. Leaving home and going somewhere completely out of your comfort zone is an experience that everyone should have. Living with total strangers and navigating your way around a strange town helps a person grow in other ways that sitting in a classroom cannot. It’s this well rounded college experience that I believe in so sincerely. It’s the only time when an institution, such as college, will bring thousands of people, the same age, together in an environment specifically tailored to their needs.

As my final few weeks come to a close, I can only think about enjoying the time I have left. During my whole college career I would put school work before fun, but know that I have my job in place, I’ve switched my mentality a little. I still keep up on my work, but have come to realize that If I don’t do everything I can to enjoy these last few college moments, I may regret it.