Dennis - State College, Pennsylvania

I believe in the importance of faith, and with faith there is karma. Going to church as a kid, the most important concept I can remember was this idea of having faith that there is a God and life after death. Being young made it hard for me to accept this, but throughout the years I have came to believe that every decision I make today will lead me where I am supposed to be.

Back in high school during my senior year I was in a car accident. It was the weekend and my friend’s parents went out of town. There were a couple parties we wanted to go to that night and took the convertible his parents told him to leave at the house. Driving through a neighborhood from one party to the other is when the accident occurred. The car went off the road to the right taking out a mailbox. He overcorrected the wheel, which sent us spinning across the other side of the road through a wire fence, in between a concrete water trough and telephone pole. For the next month, someone different explained to my father how lucky my friend and I were, avoiding the obstacles before finally coming to a stop with only damage to the car.

Again in high school, I was driving home from hockey practice at night with a teammate in the passenger’s seat. I was in my father’s truck on the highway going slightly over the speed limit when I attempted to reach for something in the back seat. I took my eye off the road for a second, which was all the longer it took before I drifted left. I was already in the left lane so when I began to drift I immediately hit the wall with the front tire. By the time I was able to pull away, I was half way up the wall. Luckily there wasn’t anyone in the right lane because when I pulled the vehicle off the wall it sent me that direction. My heart was pounding out of my chest; I spilled an entire mug full of water all over the place and pulled off the road for a minute. No one was injured and the truck didn’t have a scratch on it.

Because of what I have experienced I feel that my life is predetermined. If I was supposed to die in those accidents, there wouldn’t have been anything I could have done. I try not to worry about things I cannot control and I try to live for the moment, making sure my decisions don’t negatively affect other people. This is karma. Make decisions for the good of a group and your individual gain will follow. This I believe will lead me to a life full of spontaneous experience, whether successful or unsuccessful, as long as I have fun on the way.