Marion - New City, New York

I know everything. I am the 21 year old that knows it all already. So it made sense why I was uninterested when my English teacher introduced our new assignment: The This I Believe essay. What good is more pointless writing, I thought to myself. Words cannot change the world let alone the minds of others. Look at all those groups like amnesty and grass roots who write 1000’s of letters to no avail.

Attempting to ignore her I began gazing out the window at people passing bye; as I zoned out I began to think more about words, and their power. I soon found myself reexamining my initial conclusion.

Then like having cold water unexpectedly thrown in your face I remembered; a time before I knew it all, before I knew I knew nothing at all. A time where I was trying to find myself, and what that meant. I traveled a lot as a youth; as a result I never got close to anyone. Experiences came and went, to become fading memories.

One trip was different. It was the summer I went to Dublin; expecting it to be like my other trips; fun but uneventful, this trip would be different. While there I meet a few locals around my age. They were cool kids, however there was one in particular. A girl no more then two years my senior, but unlike me she was quite spirited. We bonded quickly spending the evening in each other’s company.

We went everywhere that night from clubs, to outdoor raves. One point in the night the girl pulled me aside. She then told me “never to give up.” Confused I only could reply “what?” She laughed and with a grin she said “I only met you for a few hours, but I like your relaxed, confident, and genuine approach to things. We are much alike. Though you tend to keep yourself closed off, I know you, and the amazing things you can achieve in life. So I ask you, never give up, ok?” I stood in silence as she walked away. We all parted ways later that night each saying our goodbyes.

That was the longest night of my trip. I spent all night thinking about her words, and there meaning. I knew I might never see her again, and even in time forget her face, but her words would never leave me; this was certain. Even now those words give me motivation, and not just those words, but also all the words from the friends I gathered along my travels. They motivate, push, and keep me going strong. Yes, words keep me going strong.

Returning back to reality: I realized that words made me who I am today, and continuously support my growth as a person. In short, I am a bunch of words.

Laughing in my head I realized my teacher had a point, words are powerful, it is how you apply them that makes all the difference.