Ricardo - State College, Pennsylvania
Themes: environment

I believe the future of the world is not as terrible as it is said to be. This belief may be based on some form of naivety, but it is hard for me to swallow that the earth is going to meet its destruction at the hands of its own people.

My first doubts of this inevitable apocalypse came during a class in my senior year of high school. The class covered topics ranging from eco-systems to the effects of DDT on the environment. It was during one lesson in particular, when my teacher went off on a tangent that my doubts began.

The issue we were discussing was global warming and none of the students seemed to be interested in the topic. Angered by the students lack of interest in the topic, the teacher then went on in an almost preaching manner of how we were destroying the environment. The way he was talking made it seem like I was personally responsible for the planet’s destruction.

I endured the lecturing and in someway felt responsible because I did in fact have an SUV that I drove around aimlessly when I had nothing better to do. The final issue my teacher brought up that after all the oil is used up and when the world is significantly warmer there will be a great war. And this war will be fought not over land or oil, but water. Water. Come on, he could not be serious. At this point I was completely turned off by what the teacher was saying. I immediately began to think of Spaceballs 1 sucking all the air out of planet Druidia; it was a little farfetched. To even suggest that world will exhaust its resources to the point where we were fighting over water was ridiculous. This last idea made me rethink the guilt I was feeling earlier about my role in global warming and its effect on the environment.

That is when I realized that earth would be fine. I do not claim to be some hardcore environmentalist and I am not saying that global warming is not a serious issue and that we have an unlimited supply of oil that will fuel our cars forever. I just cannot believe that the people of the world will sit back and let this all happen. We will find a way.

If there is a crisis, I believe the people of Earth will find a way to stop it. It is said that necessity is the mother of invention. Just in the 4 years since I listened to my teacher talk about the great water war society has made great improvements in its fuel consumption with the creation of hybrid vehicles and research into other fuel sources. It is a small step, but it is a start and further proves to me that people will be battling each other for a bottle of Evian anytime soon.