Russell - Bowie, Maryland
Themes: gratitude, love

Have you ever been in love? Truly, madly, deeply in love so that it carries you away despite your best efforts to remain grounded? Have you ever laughed so hard that your abs hurt the next day? The kind of laughter where no sound comes out, with tears streaming down your cheeks, and you begging the source of the humor to quit because you can’t catch your breath? Do you remember what it was like to be in grade school and wake up in the morning with a snow day? You would wear your pajamas inside out the night before and pray for a blizzard to sweep in and blanket your town while you were fast asleep; when it happened you were so excited your mother practically had to hold you back from leaping out the front door into the snow in your bare feet just so you could feel that it was real. It is because of things like these, things in life that can’t truly be explained by anything rational, that I believe in magic.

I have been in love once in my life. I had always hoped that I would one day experience true love, but was always concerned that I wouldn’t know what it felt like when it happened. As the adage goes “you’ll just know” when you’re in love. One summer night I realized the truth in that saying. I was in my car driving home from spending the evening with my girlfriend at her parents’ house. We were at that stage in the relationship where when it’s time to say goodnight you don’t really want to so it gets drawn out into 30 minutes of holdin’, kissin’, lovin’, and huggin’ in the driveway. As I drove out of her neighborhood I was so overwhelmed with thoughts of how happy she made me and how happy I made her that I became short of breath. I had to pull the car to the side of the road and recollect myself so that I was able to drive without flying off the road into a tree. At that moment I realized that I had finally experienced how it felt to be in love. Nothing reasonable or tangible or rational could be used to explain it. It was magic.

Moments and feelings like these in life are what get me out of bed in the morning. Greeting each day with the prospect that it could hold something extraordinary allows me to hold the hope for a joyful life. Mediocrity is boring, and life ceases to be mediocre with those magical moments and feelings. They need not be explained by science or logic, and in most instances they cannot be anyhow. To me, they are just magic.