Kevin - State College, Pennsylvania
Themes: carpe diem

This day in age, so many people become stressed about so many little things in life. I believe that you can’t take life too seriously. In order for me to be happy with my life, I have to sit back and relax. I don’t get all bent out of shape and worried if something doesn’t go my way, or if I don’t get an A on a test. I believe that if you let yourself try to be perfect all the time you only set yourself up for failure. I’m not saying that you shouldn’t try your best and work your hardest, but I am saying that you can’t let any situation run your life. Take a step back and think of a joke, or think of a funny story you once heard. If you do this it will melt away the anxiety that life can cause and make you feel better.

After my first semester of college, I received grades that were less than satisfactory. Rather than let the situation ruin my life, I took a step back and laughed at myself. I realized that getting some bad grades was not the end of the world. I would simply work harder the next semester and not stress about it. I also got together with my friends over break and did the things we normally do. We hung out, told jokes and did all of the totally non-serious things that we had been doing for years. Doing those things allowed me to examine my life in a more real light, without being overly critical and demeaning to myself. I realized that my life was really just beginning and that if I allowed myself to be overcome with the stresses of the world then I would be in for a long and unfulfilling life.

Even today I follow the same creed. When I get rejected by a girl at the bar, I laugh at myself. I realize that it’s part of life and that there are other people out there. When I don’t get a perfect grade I don’t stress myself out, I do something for myself that will make me laugh and help me to realize that life isn’t always stressful. Life is so much more than the stresses of a work-a-day world, this is something I truly believe in.