Kelly - State College, Pennsylvania

Around the beginning of the fall semester of my junior year, I met a girl in one of my classes. One day, we exchanged resumes, and after taking one glance at hers, I immediately felt inferior. As a junior she already had experience in an extensive amount of impressive jobs, activities, clubs, and internships on top of her 4.0 grade point average. It amazed me that someone so young could have accomplished so much already. There is no doubt that she probably wouldn’t have a hard time finding a job in her field of interest. What was interesting about her though, was that she lived alone, had only a handful of good friends, and had less than average social skills. Because her college life was nothing but books, she missed out on one of the greatest times of her life.

I believe that not only college, but life is wasted if it is spent alone. I feel that the people you meet and the memories you make are worth more than any grade or amount of money. I know that grades and learning are extremely important, but I believe that the most important lessons are not learned from a professor or a book.

Everyone has a different goal for their college career; it could be to get a perfect 4.0 every semester, or it could be to just pass every semester. My personal goal is to do the absolute best I can in all my classes, and to make as many friends and memories possible. If my best work is not enough to get an A in every class, I remember that I want college to be about more than just getting good grades and a high-paying job after graduation. Some students set such high academic standards that they don’t make time to meet people. It’s important to learn how to genuinely connect and communicate with other human beings, and how to form lasting relationships with them.

In the end I want to remember the people I’ve met, the places I’ve gone, and the memories I’ve made. I know when I am old I am not going to look back at my life and think of that B- I got on a paper, but the fun times I had and the friends I made. I want to look back and see that I spent my life doing something I loved, even if it meant I didn’t make a lot of money. I believe that, in the end, everyone should be able to look back at their lives and see memories of friends, family, and experiences and not grades, money, and a job. I believe that some students need to open their eyes and realize that college is a once in a lifetime experience and is something that should not be missed.