Jake - State College, Pennsylvania

I believe in a life of patience. Patience in my life has never come easy. Well, I suppose, it is never easily learned by anyone. However, in order to live a happier life, I think patience is something that must be learned.

When I was younger, I would always want the coolest toy as soon as I heard about it or saw it from one of my friends in school. My parents would tell me that I can’t always get what I want at the exact moment I want it.

As time went on, I began to learn the meaning of patience. I would begin to save up for things I wanted, putting aside my money until I could afford things. I think patience involves learning to not live on whims, usually serving for wiser decisions in the end.

Patience doesn’t just involve your finances; it involves all of your expectations in life and learning to put them on hold. My relationship with my fiancé began as a true test of patience. She wasn’t ready for a relationship with anyone, due to past hurts and breakups. So I simply offered my love to her patiently, until she came around.

Patience even comes into play in everyday situations. Take a traffic jam, for example. How many of us can maintain our composure during times like these? Again, patience allows us to put aside our own best interests for the sake of others. A patient society would prove to be a better one.

My experience has always shown that to try to be more patient has served me well, or at least better than if I hadn’t been patient. Being patient has helped me lead a life that looks to other’s interests before my own.