Jennifer - Sykesville, Maryland

I believe in my sister. Though she can be so annoying, I still love her. She, Sarah, is so stubborn, and is always trying to be the center of attention, the little brat! But here’s the thing: even with all of her less than charming personality traits, I know that she has a good heart. It peaks through occasionally, and she really surprises me.

Take last month for example. I’m at college, trying to get my work done, and my mom is bugging me to come home for the weekend to see Sarah’s high school play. I really didn’t want to make the three hour drive, and my mom accepted. Later that Thursday night, I got another call from home, but this time it was my little sister. Sarah is asking me to come home as well. I thought “Why can’t you people just accept?!” when my annoying sister told me why I need to come home.

Apparently my mom had a date Saturday night. Now, this wasn’t just any date. This was my mom’s first day in twenty-five years! My mom had told my sister how nervous she was, and Sarah knew how much better Mom would feel with me home to help her get ready. I was surprised and touched that my little sister had thought to call me and ask me to reconsider. We decided that I would surprise our mom by just showing up on Saturday morning.

Sarah managed to keep the secret, and when Saturday morning rolled around, our mom was still clueless. When I got home, I quietly shut the car door and crept to the front door. The look on my mom’s face when I casually walked in was priceless.

Sarah and I just looked at each other and smiled. Together, we made our mom ecstatically happy.

If it wasn’t for my annoying, sometimes brat-of-a-sister, I would have never been able to surprise my mom and make her so happy. Moments like when my mom’s face was lit up remind me that underneath the stubbornness, the relentless talking, and the constant battle for attention, my little sister is a pretty good kid. I know that Sarah has a good heart, and that even though she tries to hide it, she really does care about other people. I believe my sister can be annoying, and a very typical younger sibling, but deep down, she has a good heart, even if sometimes, it’s almost impossible to see.

I believe in my sister.