Brittany - Duryea, Pennsylvania

I believe that family shapes the path that one takes in life and help to overcome the obstacles along the way.

From the time I was born, I dreamed in blue and white. Someday I would be a Nittany Lion. Being the youngest of six children, and four of my siblings are Penn State alum, I wanted to follow in their footsteps….but in my own way. They all began college at a commonwealth campus, then after two years went to the “big campus” as I knew it. But I wanted to be different. Being the youngest, I was sheltered growing up, by the time I was eighteen I wanted to try something exciting, something new, I wanted to be on my own.

My parents were very hesitant to let me go, their baby was finally grown, and they thought I would be staying home a few more years. When I broke the news to them that I decided to go to University Park they were very upset. My siblings were thrilled, they convinced my parents that it was the right move for me. They knew what they were doing.

In high school, my best friend and I decided we wanted to be roommates in college so we could be there for each other while going through the huge transition from being a child to finally being independent. After being here a few weeks, our personalities clashed and college was a nightmare. But my family pulled me through it. I would call home all the time when things got tough, I just needed someone to talk to. No matter what hour it was someone was always there to make things better. A few times when the situation got terribly bad, and I just wanted to go home for good, my mom or sisters were always in the car on the way to come get me. They didn’t want to see me going through that. By the time they would call be and tell me they were coming, I had changed my mind. I knew in my heart this was the place for me and how hard my siblings pushed for me to come here (also how much my parents didn’t want me to). I made it through and don’t think I could have done it on my own.

My next two years of college were the greatest experience of my life. I still faced many of the trials and tribulations that made me just want to escape and never come back. I always long to experience things that would shape my life in a different way, than if I was back at home, in my little one horse town.

I believe that my family is my stronghold, the stone pillar that is holding me up, making me sturdy enough to go on. They always have a strategy to help me overcome whatever is in my way. My life is the path they helped to pave.