Grant - State College, Pennsylvania

This I Believe. In the second Amendment to the United States Constitution; a well regulated militia, being necessary to the security of a free state, the right of the people to keep and bear arms, shall not be infringed. But I am a rational human being and I realize there are exceptions to this rule; like the story of a friend of mine. My friend, Bob, has been a trouble maker his whole life. Even though, Bob recently went on probation for accepting stolen property, the judge let him keep his hand gun and carrying permit. A short time ago Bob decided he was going to have a party; Bob got a little drunk and started shooting cans off his fence. In his intoxicated state he turned around saw a can and shot. He hit the can but, also the kid holding the can. He should not have a gun nor should he have ever had a gun.

But I am the first person to agree with Charlton Heston when he says, “If we take gun away from Americans only the criminals will have guns.” I know guns are not the worst evil in the world and not the greatest thing either. Guns are used for sporting events like skeet shooting, hunting, and biathlons. Millions of people rely on guns everyday farmers, cowboys and sportsmen.

The people of the United States need guns also, to protect us against our own government. It is not unheard of in the history of the world that an elected leader decides that he is going to name himself king and people follow him. With the elimination of weapons in the U.S. tyranny becomes more of a threat.

I know there is a median point that the two sides of gun control can meet happily. The problem is neither side is willing to budge on the subject. This is were the government should step in and say enough. One side gets these concessions and the other side gets other concessions, and if both sides are still mad tell them to sue. Guns are important to America even though they can hurt people if in the wrong hands, 2500 left handed people are killed each year by products made for right handed people.