Jill - Cochranton, Pennsylvania
Themes: work

I believe that hard work pays off when you least expect it. Growing up on a farm, my sisters and I were taught to always work hard at what we did and not to give up until we finished what we were working at. We would get up in the morning and feed our animals before heading off to school. When we got home, we would feed the animals again and do any extra chores that needed done. We were very involved in our local 4-H program so would often have a meeting once a week that we attended. I held several offices 4-H clubs and was the president several times.

When I first arrived at college I was quiet, shy and not involved in anything. My first semester at Penn State, I was invited to attend a Block and Bridle club meeting by a girl that I had met in 4-H. Before long I became involved in the club because the club was involved in activities similar to ones from 4-H when I was growing up. I really enjoyed working with other members that had a similar interest in livestock. I started dedicating my free time to the club by going to as many events as I could and helping out with planning and running livestock shows, judging contests and fundraisers. After I was in the club for a year I was asked to take on a leadership role by being an Ag Student Council Representative. I took on this duty and continued to help out with events throughout the year.

At the end of my junior year it came time for officer’s elections. I knew that I wanted to continue to be involved in a leadership position of the club. In the club the seniors pick a slate of people to nominate for office. I had told several people that I was interested in continuing to be an officer. The night of elections I was surprised when they had made me their pick for president. After the election was over I was named the 2005-06 president. This was a big honor for me to be named president; after all the club had over a hundred members.

After the election a few people came up to me and said, “I am sure you will do a good job you’re such a hard worker.” I believe people noticing the work I did for the club helped me be named president. As I close my year of serving as president and I hear people telling me: “Jill you did a really good job as president,” I am glad I put a lot of hard work and time into this club. This has been the best year of my college career. Hard work has rewarded me, this I believe.