Mark - State College, Pennsylvania
Themes: purpose

I believe that everything happens for a reason. Preparation and dedication hold my boundaries for my actions. Starting off my collegiate search, I applied to two universities: The University of Maryland and Penn State. I had my heart set on Maryland for 2 years and had no desire what so ever to go to Penn State. However, I was never accepted to the University of Maryland and ended up at Penn State.

Today, I could not be happier. These past four years have been the most exciting, memorable, entertaining and dear to my heart. I have met more people that have impacted my life in one way or another than I could ever ask for. Whether I’ve met them once, or still continue to talk to them on a daily basis; I will always remember them and couldn’t ask for more.

From my first encounter with Pat Fung, the head coach of the hockey team, to the next person I sit next to and share a drink with, all of them have left an impact on my life here at Penn State. The past four years have changed me and helped me to become the person that I have grown up to be in ways that I’ve never expected. As I sit here and think about this experience, and where my life has taken me and where I will be in the future, I am prepared to close this chapter of my life and start a new one. Whether I go into management or join the military, I know that whatever decision I make will happen for a reason and I am ready to see where this new path will lead.

Since I believe that everything happens for a reason, I honestly believe upon graduation that whichever choice I make will be a new adventure to look forward to. I know I’ve spent the last four years studying Hospitality Management, but I also know that for the past 13 years, I’ve dreamt of being a pilot. I know that the opportunity for management will always be around, but time is ticking for me to be a pilot. I do know deep inside that whatever I decide on will help me to grow and experience new things either way.

I know that this decision will make me a better person and help to shape me as I grow in one way or another. Because I believe everything happens for a reason I am confident that I can’t make a wrong decision and a new chapter of my life will start. Until that day comes when I decide to let the world see my skills and appreciate me for who I am, I am going to let my instincts and heart grab a hold of me and lead me to my destiny.