Evelyn - State College, Pennsylvania

I believe that when people pass away, they visit the ones they care about by entering their dreams. Perhaps the only reason why they come is to say hello, but I believe that they also come so those who are living can move on.

In my sophomore year of college, my friend Kathy passed away very suddenly two weeks before the end of the semester. The day that she died, I felt like my world came crashing down on me. I never got to say goodbye or tell her how much her friendship meant to me. Feelings of regret and sorrow after her death were almost unbearable because there were so many things that we would never get to experience. She was gone and there was nothing that could bring her back.

However, my beliefs changed on the Friday of finals week when I had this dream that Kathy, our friend Lindsay, and I were in a tree house. We were running away from something that could end our lives. My heart was racing. The only way to get out of the tree house was by climbing down a vine that was attached to the top of the house. It was as if there was a small candle lit, and all I could see was the outline of Kathy’s and Lindsay’s faces in its flame. In this tree house, I turned to Kathy and said, “Whatever happens to us, I will always love you and will remember all of the great times we have had.” I then turned to Lindsay and told her the same. After we had told each other how important our friendships are, we decided to venture out of the tree house on this vine and face our predator. That is when I woke up.

The next day, I called Lindsay and said “I had the weirdest dream last night.” To my surprise, she said she did as well, and it was about Kathy. When I asked her about her dream, she described a tree house with vines. Her dream consisted of the three of us being frightened about something. We promised to cherish the friendships and proceeded to exit the tree house and face the world.

Although I was never a firm believer in spirits and ghosts, my dream changed my view completely. The fact that Lindsay and I had almost the exact same dream on the same night convinced me that Kathy had come back to ease our regret and sorrow. We both thought, “It was just like Kathy to visit after finals were done so that she would not interrupt our studies.” It was as if she knew that there were things that I wanted to say to her that I would never get the chance; so she gave me the chance. For these reasons, I believe that a person’s spirit is always watching over me and visits me in my dreams to ease pain, sorrow, and regret.