James - State College, Pennsylvania
Themes: death, family

Friends Come and Go, but Family…Will Always be There

As I sped home early in the morning, all that was running through my head was the thought that this couldn’t possibly happen again. Not to us. My younger siblings and I lost our Mother to breast cancer 4 years ago this summer, and when I thought things were finally getting back to normal, I get that phone call. That dreaded phone call in the middle of the night that nobody ever wants to get. Fighting through the tears and the crying in the background, my sister explains that Dad was just rushed to the hospital. I jump out of bed, speed home, and once I get to the hospital I am greeted by my crying brother and our Pastor. I was too late. Dad was gone.

Over the next couple of days, we were all flooded with phone calls and visits from friends, both new and old, sending their condolences, showing their love and respect for us and Dad. That continued for the next couple of days until finally the funeral passed and everyone went on their own separate ways, leaving myself, Elizabeth, Brian and Brendan in the house, alone. Everyone had left, all had gone back to their own lives, and I can’t blame them because that is exactly what I would have done.

It was right then and there where I realized that we are going to have to grow stronger and tighter then ever if we want to get through this. Ten years down the road, the people I consider good friends now, most likely will not be in my life at all and that goes for all of us. Ten years down the road my younger brothers and sister will still be there, because we are blood, we are–Family.

I love my friends, and I appreciate everything that they have done for me, especially as of late, and I would do the same for them. You never know where life will take you and what will happen to you relationship. I believe that no matter where life takes you, the love for your family and the bond that you have with one another can never be taken away. I know that, because I also believe that Mom and Dad are still with me, everyday, spiritually, and in my heart. They are also with Elizabeth, Brian and Brendan. Why you ask–because we are family.