Christopher - State College, Pennsylvania
Themes: integrity

I believe in integrity. Integrity allows me to define who I am, and how I want to be perceived. Integrity gives me structure and also the ability to trust. Defining who we are and being able to be unshaken during times of opposition truly illustrates ones character.

In an ever so competitive and demanding world, integrity is something that is challenged everyday. It is something that can affect every aspect of life; from family and relationships, to everyday common decisions. It is an unwritten handbook of the moral codes that we use to mold our lives, and the lives of the people that we come in contact with. Being able to have this structure allows people to trust you, and have confidence that your are consistent

When growing up this was something that was made very clear to me, not in a demanding way, more casual with and emphasis on its importance. My father’s repetitive stories and examples of integrity at first were nothing more than that, repetitive. As I grow older people have started to challenge my integrity. Realizing this has helped me discover and embrace this concept and its importance.

When I was in High School I played football. Not something too odd, but the thing that made this special is that I was a lineman. I was a six foot, 145 pound starting right guard my last two years, which for anyone who knows about football 145 pounds is extremely small for a lineman. I wasn’t the best player by any means, and was often challenged in terms of my integrity. Everyone always wanted me to quit, always doubted my abilities. Many times I would find myself picking myself up off the ground rather than laying a tremendous hard hit.

The reason I choose this story to emphasize my point is my father would always tell me never to give up. If I got knocked down I would get back up with even more passion then I had before. It was because of my promise to my father that I would never give up that made me respected on the football field. My focus and determination to stick to my goals allowed me to get my varsity jacket at the same time as the best athletes in my grade.

Being able to stick to what you believe in and doing it consistently is very hard to due. Simply defining my own set of morals and goals is a challenge in itself. Once defined, and if followed with passion, people will learn to trust and respect you. It helps gives me structure in and ever changing and demanding world. At then end of the day know matter how bad or great my day was, if I have nothing else, I will always have my integrity.