Thomas - Gardena, California

The Potential to Change The World

I believe that I have the potential to change the world. To have potential, is taking the opportunities that are given to me and transforming it in order to benefit the people around me. My parents immigrated from Vietnam to the United States to take advantage of this land of opportunity. When I hear their stories of war, death, and destruction, I cannot believe that events like this can occur during a time where we should have learned from the mistakes of the past. Although they have struggled to get where they are now, they have not forgotten about people who are less fortunate than them. Every week they dedicate their time to their church and assist in helping families who are currently going through the struggles of adjusting to a new world.

I look at my parents and I have seen how they have contributed to the betterment of society. Although small, I can tell in those peoples eyes that my parents’ efforts are tremendous. Through their example, I volunteer with the Vietnamese American Eucharistic Youth group. Each week I teach seven- year -olds everyday principles and lessons through songs or stories in hopes of them learning that they too can help society. It has been an amazing experience working with these kids because they have really absorbed what they have learned. As cliché as it sounds, I see these children as the future of our next generation. The way I see it is if I can help them understand that picking up their trash or giving some change to a homeless man is their way of helping the world, then I know that I have helped them and changed the world in some way.

Because of these events in my life thus far, I know that if I can make a difference then everyone in this world can too. Every little bit helps. I believe that this world has so much potential to change into the world where everyone can live without having to worry about being bombed or having basic necessities such as food or water. I believe that I can do my part and take what I have to contribute to the world that I believe could be.