Torrey - Bellefonte, Pennsylvania

To the Opening of Doors

Helen Keller once stated, ”When one door of happiness closes, another opens; but often we look so long at the closed door that we do not see the one which has been opened for us.” This, I believe.

One night, my mother came home at quarter till three in the morning with no explanation. After asking where she had been, I was told it was none of my business. I demanded more answers, but got none.

Several weeks later, I overheard my parents talking. When I heard them say words like lawyer and divorce, it made my stomach turn. Uneasiness lingered in the air of our home. I never fell asleep that night; I sat up thinking about every possibility that could end this nightmare.

I was under the impression that we had what most people would call the “perfect family.” Apparently, most people were wrong. My father moved out of the house three months later, and my mother’s new boyfriend moved in. I completely stopped talking to my mother.

At eighteen, I didn’t understand. This life change that my mother had chosen went against everything I believed, everything I knew. I knew that it meant nothing would ever be the same. I finally decided to talk to her about it, but the only words she said were the ones I didn’t want to hear. It broke my heart.

Looking back, it brings tears to my eyes to think that a nineteen year marriage ended and could not be saved. I still relentlessly drive by our house, and remember the perfect existence that came from it. That’s how I will always remember it.

My mother got remarried and decided to take a job six hours away. My father is single, and lives about a block away from me. Today, after six years of being divorced, they are both happier than I ever can remember them when I was growing up.

At twenty-two, I’m a believer that divorce isn’t always a bad thing. I will never be able to justify what my mother did, but then again, it’s not my responsibility. I’ve also given up playing the blame game. In the end, it just doesn’t matter.

When my parents divorced, I immediately thought my life would be hell. I was completely wrong. When the door to their marriage closed, a door to a new and better life opened. I had always thought that divorce was a negative event that guaranteed misery. Although it wasn’t the most pleasant experience, it has allowed my parents to become their own best versions. This, I believe.