Rosalie - University Park, Pennsylvania

There’s someone out there watching and protecting each one of us. My grandmother always told me this, but as a kid, I didn’t believe everything that my elders told me. Six years ago grandma passed away, and I started to remember what she said. From then on I believed that she was there through all of my struggles. Two years ago this belief became reality.

During spring break I decided to visit my aunt and see my new baby cousin. On that dreary March morning, the weather forecast said there was a chance of snow. I left anyway because I wasn’t going to change my plans then. I drove for three hours, and right before my exit on the interstate, there was a white out. I remember thinking, “Grandma, be with me.” I kept my cool and got through it. I got off my exit and had about 15 miles to go on a two-lane highway. After ten miles it started to snow, and I remember saying aloud, “Grandma, be with me.” A few minutes later I saw a car coming toward me. In a split second, my Jeep started to slide and spin around and then suddenly stopped. After I realized what happen, I looked down and there was glass all over me, and the passenger side was crushed in touching my arm. I immediately got out of the car and looked for my cell phone to call for help. Thankfully, I walked away from the accident with only bruises and cuts on my legs and head.

After a few hours in the hospital, I didn’t even remember what my Jeep looked like. When I left the hospital, I went to collect my stuff from the Jeep. Standing there, looking at it I got this weird feeling. Everything was crushed in, except for the driver’s seat. I started to cry, grateful that no one was riding with me because they surely would have been killed. Right there, I knew; she protected me.

After that long, horrible day, I finally got to my destination. My aunt was waiting at the door with the baby in her arms and crying hysterically. I started to cry too and told her that I was fine. I gave her a hug, and she gave me the baby to hold. Amber LaReida, named after our grandma, was only a month old. I looked down at her and she smiled. Everybody was amazed because it was her first smile. For me, that was grandma telling me I was alright. I looked up and smiled thinking, “Grandma, thank you for being there. But here’s another little person that needs you just as much as I do.”

That day changed my life. I learned to slow down and think about everything that should, could, and will happen to me. Think about times when things happen, and it seems like there was an extra hand in it. There are people watching. I am living proof. This I believe.